Board Meetings

June 2017 Ice Cream Social

We all had a great time at the Ice Cream social, we sure wish more of our 87 neighbors who live in Walnut View would come meet all of our friendly faces!  We’ll post meeting minutes a little later!

03-27-2017 Meeting Minutes

8:00 PM
Present:
Greg Baker
Jon Dunn
Juli Hermanson
Danielle King
Laura Young
Kelly Dunn

Introductions and Welcome:
All present for the meeting.

Approval of Agenda and Meeting Minutes:
There was a motion to approve the meeting summary. The meeting summary was approved.

Subcommittee and Task Force Reports

Treasury / Budget:
Juli has completed the annual budget and the invoices for annual dues. All are ready to be sent out.
Juli is working with Mission bank to waive the $8 service fee and has started an online account to better keep track of the budget for the HOA.

Business Management:
Bylaws: Laura has drafted the bylaws and sent to the committee for review. This bylaws will be shared at the annual meeting on June 25th, 2017, for review from full HOA. Included in the draft bylaws are:
HOA annual meeting directives. The Board thought this would be a good venue to vote on new rules and ensure the community is informed of neighborhood changes. Notices on these votes and meetings will be made available.

Community Events and Outreach:
Danielle has two events already outlined for the year:
A June 25th ice cream social following the annual meeting. The social will be held at Danielle’s home.
Annual fall neighborhood barbeque: meat provided by the HOA, with people bringing sides. The date is tentative right now. Danielle was looking at other events to include this year, such as a bounce house. More information to come as the date approaches.
Grants: Danielle continues to work with the city for grants to assist with Walnut View social events.

Secretarial Reports:
Email: There have been some emails coming in randomly to various board members. Kelly asked that all HOA emails be sent to her for response.
Kelly will resume work on the welcome packet for new HOA members.

Other Business:
Signage: The Walnut View brass signs were stolen in the past. It is costly to replace the brass signs. Jon worked with a sign company by the name of KC Custom Signs who he does marketing for to make plastic signs that look similar to the brass signs. These will be used as replacements for the signs that have been stolen, saving the HOA money in replacement fees.

01-31-2017 Meeting Minutes

8:00 PM
Present:
Greg Baker
Jon Dunn
Juli Hermanson
Danielle King
Laura Young

Introductions and Welcome:
Kelly Dunn not present for the meeting.

Approval of Agenda and Meeting Minutes:
There was a motion to approve the meeting summary. The meeting summary was approved.

Subcommittee and Task Force Reports

Treasury / Budget:
Juli shared the annual budget, quoting the current balance to be around $6,000.
Juli is working on the annual invoices for HOA dues. These should be mailed out in the spring prior to the annual meeting.
Jon said he would like to redesign the invoice / statement in 2018.

Business Management:
Bylaws: Laura has drafted the bylaws and is looking for Board review and comments.
Annual meeting date needs to be decided on. Looking for a spring meeting where draft bylaws can be discussed.

Community Events and Outreach:
Danielle wants to focus on the park this year. She has been looking at various playgrounds in the area, and is hoping to update our Walnut View playground. She will move forward with researching this, but also wants to ensure the flooding situation from the past is resolved.
Greg stated he heard good things about the Christmas luminaries. This program will continue in 2017.

06-06-2016 Meeting Minutes

Walnut View Homeowner’s Association
Meeting Minutes
June 6, 2016
8:00 PM
Present:
Greg Baker
Jon Dunn
Shelly Copple
Juli Hermanson
Danielle King
Laura Young
Kelly Dunn

Introductions and Welcome:
All present for the meeting.

Approval of Agenda and Meeting Minutes:
There was a motion to approve the meeting summary. The meeting summary was approved.

Subcommittee and Task Force Reports

Treasury / Budget:
The Board determined that two treasurers for contingency purposes would be the most effective. The treasures have the following action items to follow up on:
Insurance: Working with the Park Workgroup (see section (e)(1) below), the treasurers will determine the most cost effective insurance plan for our community park. Reviewing for this will be continued until complete.
Banking Services:
Due to increased fees, the treasurers are looking for other options. Julie contacted US Bank, which stated there are no fees for nonprofits, but a letter showing our HOA standing is necessary. Shelly and Julie will conduct further research.
For contingency purposes, three Board members will be added to the banking account: Julie, Shelly and Greg. This will allow them to make charges out of the HOA account as deemed necessary by the Board and / or community.
All receipts for financial purposes should be given to the treasurers. A running log will be kept on the website to keep all community members up-to-date on the budget.

Business Management:
The Business Management group will work with the city to resolve standing open items. Resolutions will be voted on by community as necessary. Action items listed below:
Bylaws: Laura pulled all rules and regulations from the 2011 “Kansas Uniform Common Interest Owners Bill of Rights” from the Kansas State Legislature. Some additional items in addition to the bylaws that will have to be completed is:
The HOA needs an annual meeting every year. The Board thought this would be a good venue to vote on new rules and ensure the community is informed of neighborhood changes. Notices on these votes and meetings will be made available.
Record keeping of all neighborhood documents will be organized and kept up through the secretary for the full length as stated in the statute.
Title issues: Laura did research the title issues and has concluded that the seller has the duty to inform new buyers or title companies of the HOA requirements.

Community Events and Outreach:
The social events planner and community outreach coordinator will plan for events throughout the year to help Walnut View neighbors get to know one another. Items discussed, along with action items are listed below:
Danielle came up with two events to kick things off:
A July 24th ice cream social beginning at 7pm. Details to be determined and distributed to community members.
A fall neighborhood barbeque: meat provided by the HOA, with people bringing sides. The date is tentative right now.
Grants: Danielle contacted the city and found that grants are available for social events. She will be applying for grants to assist with Walnut View social events.

Secretarial Reports:
Email: The neighborhood does have an email that would be useful for the community to know about to submit questions, concerns, or if they would like to be involved. The email is: walnutviewhoa@gmail.com. Currently no emails have been submitted, but the email directory has been updated.
Documentation: Based on the Kansas statute, records will be retained for the time necessary in accordance with the law.
Newsletter: The first newsletter will be distributed in July. These will also be added to the website. The Board thought this would be a great way to share information on new residents or happenings within the neighborhood.

Workgroup Reports:
Park Workgroup (Liaisons: Kelly, Juli, Jon): This workgroup would handle all aspects of the park and common areas, to include mowing contract, updates, etc.
It was identified that additional mulch (approximately 3-4 bags) was needed for the common areas on Outlook. The Board approved the purchase.
It was recommended that the common area near the entrance on Reeds has a lot of overgrown plant life. The Board voted to change the overgrown bushes and put in new plants. Date undecided.
The mowing contract is being reviewed to ensure the HOA is getting the best price for services. If changes in contracts are made, information will be available on the website.
Drainage – The park currently lacks appropriate drainage. There may be a French drain presently in place that’s clogged. The first action item will be to unclog that drain. Additionally, a quote will be sought out if additional drainage is necessary.
Signage – Jon will contact a signage company he knows for signage around the park such as a welcome sign and no weapons signage. Additionally, he will work with them on the missing Walnut View Neighborhood entrance signs. Shelly said to find out how much the brass ones cost as we do have insurance.
New swing – Juli has purchased a new swing for the park. The cost of the swing will be added to the ongoing budget log on the website.
Gas Lights Workgroup (Liaisons: Greg, Jon) – Greg though getting one solar light to test would be an effective way to see if the community would like to do away with the gas lights. The Board agreed and once purchased, the neighborhood will be notified to vote on the light.

Other Business:
Website: The website is done and ready to use! The site is: http://walnutviewhoa.com. For password protected items, community members will be asked to enter a password: WLWV.

Next Meeting: TBD, 8:00 PM; Location: TBD
IMG_2847

09-13-2008 Annual Meeting Minutes

Annual Meeting
Minutes
September 13, 2008

In attendance:  25 residents representing 14 households

The meeting was called to order by Jan Hudzicki, President.

Dan Smith, Treasurer, gave the financial report.  The increase in annual dues has yielded a positive balance that may be used for park or neighborhood entrance improvements.  Twenty-one residences have not paid annual dues.

Jeff McDermott, board member, reported on repairs to the park steps.  Jeff made repairs to the concrete steps that have improved the appearance and safety.  A protective sealant and overlay may still be applied, at minimal cost.

Discussion was held regarding other options for use of the extra income from dues, as the park steps no longer appear to be a priority.  After discussion, the following items were approved by residents for action:
Bushes at the entrance to the park will be removed by volunteers
The park slide that is unsafe for small children will be removed.  Charlie Fisher has a contact that may remove the slide for metal salvage.
Estimates will be sought for improvements to the entrances, including brick repair and replacing gas lights with fixtures that are less expensive to operate.
Council representatives will be contacted regarding drainage problems in the park and water flowing down the east side of Outlook.  The city engineer may be helpful in identifying solutions for both drainage and a “green” alternative to the gas lights.

Residents expressed concern about odor from the water treatment plant.  Johnson County Wastewater has encouraged residents to contact them directly if an odor is noticeable and they have been responsive in the past with addressing.  The contact name and number will be published in the next neighborhood newsletter.

Kathy Smith reported on a grant awarded to Walnut View by Mission Neighborhood Services.  Up to $500 may be spent on a web site and neighborhood social activities before the end of 2008.  A preliminary web site has been developed by an area high school student for our neighborhood.  Wanda Vaughn recruited the student.  Kyle King volunteered to further develop and maintain the web site.  The plan is to post the neighborhood directory (with resident permission), newsletters, photos of events, notices of items for sale and services offered by neighborhood residents (i.e. babysitting, pet sitting, lawn mowing, snow shoveling) on the site.  Paper newsletters will still be distributed for residents that do not have web access.  $50 will be paid to the student who developed the initial web site for us.  The site will be hosted at a location that is either free or at a low annual cost – depending upon the functions we want.  The web address will be included in the next newsletter.  A small portion of the grant funds will be used to cover the cost of the annual meeting food.  We will also have a neighborhood block party for Halloween on Saturday evening, October 25th.  Wendy McDermott, Vice President, has contacted the Mission Police, who will barricade 49th St. between Woodson and Outlook that evening and bring a police car by for neighborhood children to see.

Discussion followed regarding residents who are not paying annual dues.  Several present expressed that action should be taken, as it was not fair to those who pay dues each year.  It was decided that liens will be filed against homeowners that are more than a year behind on dues.  Residents will be encouraged to pay past due amounts or contact the treasurer to make payment arrangements.  Susan Loyacono, resident, agreed to assist in filing these liens.

Dan Smith gave a report on the neighborhood watch program and agreed to lead the effort.  An informational meeting was held in April.  Block captains are needed for identified neighborhood zones.  Block captains have the following responsibilities:
Initiate contact with all residents in their assigned areas.
Update directory information, including resident permission regarding posting information on web site.
Contact residents in their assigned area by phone if an alert is received from Mission Police.
Consider engaging volunteers to paint addresses on curbs for better visibility by emergency vehicles (funds may be available from Neighborhood Services to assist with this effort).
The following individuals have agreed to serve as block captains:
Phillip Hafler
Marty Kostelac
Chuck Cornelison
Bill Sifuentes
Phyllis Phillips

Nominations were opened for homes association board and officers.  The following individuals agreed to serve as officers for another year:  Jan Hudzicki (Pres.), Wendy McDermott (VP),
Dan Smith (Treas.).  Residents are encouraged to attend board meetings and contact board members for input.

Christmas Eve luminaries will be prepared and distributed at 2:00 in the afternoon on Saturday, December 20th from 4917 Woodson.  Luminaries should be placed at the end of your driveway and lit on Christmas Eve at 7:00 p.m.

Announcements:
Wendy and Jeff McDermott offered the hill behind their home (adjacent to the park) for snow sledding, as long as residents absolve them of liability.

Al Lemieux asked for prayers and support for a neighborhood couple who recently added a very premature baby to their family.

The meeting was adjourned by Jan Hudzicki, President.

News Categories

Newsletter Sign Up